The checklist for kitchen island design
The difficulty in setting up the right kitchen islands is probably in the multifunctional claim. A successful kitchen concept must fulfill at least the following requirements:
- It has to turn the kitchen island into a hub in the room;
- It has to be functional;
- It has to contribute to the work efficiency.
Kitchen with cooking island
A modern cooking island in the rustic fashion kitchen
A must or an extra?
But let's take a step back and ask ourselves the next question: is the kitchen island a must or an extra? Everyone would have to answer for themselves. In our opinion, the kitchen island is a must in large kitchens. Of course, it could also be placed in smaller rooms. This need not be.
Design your kitchen according to your ideas
If you have a larger kitchen, then you should consider the following carefully: Where and how big should the kitchen island be, so that it meets the requirements listed above? In addition, the connection to the other facilities must be good.
You can also use a practical kitchen island as a dining table
In a smaller kitchen, the questions that relate to the kitchen island should rather be formulated with "if" and not "like". It depends on whether the ambience would look better through a kitchen island; whether it makes work more effective; whether we make it through the kitchen island, to integrate more functions in the room, etc.
Contrast between the whitewashed wood and the black granite countertop
After the decision
Once the final decision is made to integrate a kitchen island, we will devote ourselves to the parameters of expansion. Here comes another set of questions to answer. They are the following:
- What is the kitchen island most used for?
- Which main and secondary functions should it fulfill?
- How much space can the kitchen island take?
- How much and how should storage space be provided in the kitchen island?
In addition to the style, all these parameters should influence the final image of their kitchen island.
With plenty of storage space for books and decorative items
A dreamlike cooking island made of solid wood
Central or easily accessible
By default, there is a kitchen island in the middle of the room. Behind this is the aspiration that it is equally accessible from all points of view. Other positions are conceivable as soon as this condition is met.
A modern version with mirror surfaces as an accent
The pluses that a kitchen island brings
You should also ask the question of what benefits the kitchen island brings to your room. This aspect overlaps in part with the previous ones in our checklist. However, this is important: with the question formulated in this way, you avoid the danger of forgetting something important.
Modern kitchen island with lighting
Below we have some examples for you, accompanied by some explanations:
- More work space: You need a kitchen island with a seamless appearance, and fewer built-in appliances. The storage room should be installed.
- More seating: Here, both the built-in appliances and the stowage space should be kept to a minimum. You need to be able to sit quietly so you have enough room for your knees.
- More storage space and installation facilities: But maybe you need more space for the sink and for the hotplates? Then they should occupy most of the surface of the kitchen island. In this case, stowage shelves can be placed wonderfully on the sides.
Equipped with Led lighting and extractor hoods
As you can see, the kitchen island checklist is designed to serve your individual household ideally. Complete it with your own questions and possible types of use.
The colored chairs provide a fresh accent in the gray-white kitchen
Classic kitchen equipment
A typical summer kitchen
The black color is very popular in kitchen design nowadays
Refined and very elegant
Chic cooking island in red with integrated wine rack
Puristic elegance prevails in the kitchen
The cooking island often offers a comfortable seating
With cupboard for dishes
Island with sink, which takes up very little space
Island and dining table in one
Another very practical solution 2 in 1
Mobility is needed: cooking island on wheels
Wooden island with plenty of storage space
Spacious kitchen in white
Classic wooden island with sink
Rattan chairs complete the complete rustic look
Narrow, but rather long kitchen island in high gloss